Sunday, October 17, 2010

Media Industries 2 Seminar Critique: Alternate Pathways

In this seminar, the group in charge of this week brought in a panel of guests from a range of different media industries, namely; advertising, sports media, public relations, gaming as well as a cool 'Jack of all Trades'! (who was late for the seminar unfortunately...) This week's seminar focused on the different career paths that we might take after graduating. I thought this seminar was quite engaging but lacking in some areas. I gave this seminar a Distinction.

Guest Speakers:

This guests for this week were very relevant as they were each from different fields and each still managed to link back somewhat to what we were learning about in school. Although Leah, Beth, Damian, Eugene and Fran were all relatively experienced in their own fields, they did not seem to interact much with each other, or network with each other after the seminar, I thought that this was a waste as you should always grab the chance to network with other people from similar as well as differing fields of work as you will never know if you might work with them one day. However, the speakers shared with us many relevant experience in their fields of work and told us how it was like in their daily work life.

Facilitation of session:

The host for the session was good at leading the panel of guests and she asked relevant questions with regard to the individual guest. However, the host did not look like she was confident enough to lead the seminar, but I felt she did a good job nevertheless. It takes courage to step up and take upon the role of a host/emcee and not just anybody can do it. Unfortunately, one of the guests was late (Fran) and that caused the seminar to start late, but it did not affect the seminar much. There seemed to be some feedback from the microphones and that was a small problem.

For this particular seminar, I felt that no one was dominating the discussion and all of the guests had an equal opportunity to contribute in the discussion. This is different from the scenario as compared to the past two seminars that I have attended in the past weeks. The PowerPoint slides were well done as well.

However, the answers that the guests gave was too generalised and they simply stressed on how to communicate well and persevere in their jobs. This was nothing new to me as it was similar to the points covered in the past two weeks. Thus, I found the Q and A session rather disappointing.

Relevance to my areas of interest:

In this area, I have quite a deep interest in the alternate careers that are available as I have worked in many areas that that not directly linked to TV and Film, which are my areas of interest. Other than the standard Production Assistant, Producer, DOP, and Director roles that I have done, I have worked as a Corporate Communications Assistant, a Human Resource Assistant and many other linked but not directly related to the media industry jobs before.

Hence, I am curious as to how these professionals handled their roles. All I learnt from them was that one had to be passionate and press on in whatever jobs we did. This is a general formula to succeed and this left me high and dry for more in-depth answers that were unfortunately, not given.

Looking forward to have a good seminar for my group's two weeks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment